COOKING TIME :
- 2 x 175 g packages mild diced Italian Salsiccia
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 1 cup (or 1 large) chopped onion
- 30 ml (2 tbsp or 2 cloves) chopped garlic
- 1 tsp crushed chili peppers
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) tomato paste
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) sugar
- 1 - 796 ml can diced tomatoes in their juice
- 250 ml (1 cup) vegetable juice
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) basil pesto
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Gently simmer the onions with the garlic and crushed chili peppers. Once the onions are translucent, add the tomato paste and stir well.
- Add the diced tomatoes, sugar and vegetable juice. Let simmer gently, uncovered, for around 45 minutes.
- Add the diced Italian Salsiccia and the pesto and let simmer for around 10 more minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning.
For a different, smoother texture, run the sauce through the blender before adding the diced Italian Salciccia and pesto topping. You can also change 1 package of mild diced salciccia by 1 hot diced salciccia!
This mild Italian Salciccia sauce is the perfect accompaniment for pasta, chicken breast and even turkey cutlet.