COOKING TIME :
- 1 (approx. 5 kg) whole turkey with giblets
- 175 g (1 package) Fantino&Mondello Diced Chorizo
- 675 g (1 loaf) sliced white bread with crust removed, diced and dried*
- (* leave to dry on a baking sheet on the counter the day before)
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp savory
- ½ tsp sage
- ½ tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp fresh or dried parsley
- To taste turkey giblets (liver and heart)
- ¼ lb (optional) softened butter
- Thaw the turkey in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
- Preheat the oven to 450° F.
- Remove the turkey giblets and poach the liver and heart in boiling water for a few minutes, then use a food processor to finely chop.
- To make the stuffing, mix the following ingredients together by hand: chorizo, chopped giblets, dried bread, celery, onion, chicken broth, salt, pepper, savory, sage, rosemary and parsley.
- Rinse the turkey in cold water and use paper towel to soak up the water from inside. Generously stuff the inside of the turkey with the stuffing*.
- *Note: Wrap any surplus stuffing in aluminum foil and place it next to the turkey in the roasting pan so it cooks slowly, at the same time as the turkey.
- Place the turkey in a roasting pan, spread with the softened butter, and cover the thigh-ends with aluminum foil. Then, cover and sear for 30 minutes in the oven preheated to 450° F. After the 30 minutes, lower the heat to 350° F. Use a turkey baster to baste regularly with the cooking juices throughout the cooking period (45 minutes per kilo of turkey*). To ensure the skin turns golden brown, remove the cover and the surplus stuffing packaged in aluminum foil, and set aside. Continue cooking the turkey uncovered for 30 minutes.
*Note: How to cook a perfect turkey every time?
In an oven preheated to 350° F, the basic rules are 45 minutes per kilo: So, for a 5 kg-turkey, the cooking time will be approximately 4.5 hours. If you prefer the skin crispy, after removing the lid 30 minutes prior to it being done, spread a little apple or cranberry jelly on the turkey. This will give it a glazed golden finish that tastes delicious!
For a mouth-watering presentation, plate generous slices of turkey accompanied with stuffing*, a few oven-grilled vegetables (carrots, beans, etc.), and Parisian or mashed potatoes.
*Note: For a delightful stuffing presentation, here’s a little tip: make cylinders by rolling the stuffing in aluminum foil, removing the foil, and then cutting the stuffing into slices to arrange on the plate. You can also use shape cutters to mould the stuffing.
To make the gravy, recover the cooking juices and remove the fat using a gravy separator. Add 1 to 2 packages of commercial brand turkey gravy for delicious results. Run through a sieve and keep warm.
For more gravy, debone the turkey in advance, recover the bones, and place them in the bottom of the roasting pan. Cover the bones with cold water and add 1 to 2 packages of commercial brand turkey gravy mix for delicious results. Run through a sieve and keep warm.
For a gluten-free version: use gluten-free bread, broth and spices.
You can also substitute the Chorizo with Pancetta. We recommend browning the Pancetta in olive oil beforehand until golden brown before adding it to