COOKING TIME :
- 12 slices Fantino & Mondello Black pepper Capicollo
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) milk
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sweet clover extract
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) dune pepper, ground
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 slices brioche bread, 4 cm (1.5 in.) thick
- 1 tub (225-250 g) spreadable goat cheese
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) fresh dill, chopped
- 2 pears, cored and sliced (approximately 12 slices per pear)
- 2 endives, without hearts, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- Maple syrup, as desired
- Fleur de sel and freshly ground pepper, as desired
1. Preheat the oven to 200° C (400° F).
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread out the 12 capicollo slices so they are not touching each other. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Set aside.
Leave the oven at the same temperature for the French toast.
Brioche French toast
1. In a shallow bowl, use a whisk to beat together the eggs, sweet clover extract, dune pepper and salt. Dip each slice in the mixture and coat well (without soaking and so the bread’s centre stays slightly firm). Set aside on a plate.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange the four slices of French toast. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until golden, turning over halfway through.
On each of the four plates, place one slice of brioche French toast and top in equal parts in the following order with goat cheese spread, dill, pears, capicollo chips, endives and chives. Add the desired quantity of maple syrup. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add a poached egg for a heartier meal.
- If you are preparing this recipe outside pear season, replace the pears with apples.
Our capicollo is the perfect ingredient for gourmet sandwiches, pizzas, omelettes and appetizer deli trays. Feel like switching things up? Follow our lead and try Fantino & Mondello’s capicollo as chips – they’re divine! Coated in black pepper, our capicollo will certainly enhance the flavour of your pasta dishes, salads and even this flavourful brioche French toast recipe.
Recipe by Caribou